Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This can be served warm or cold, perfect served with toasted bread (crostini)
- 2 large eggplants
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 large ripe tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cut washed, unpeeled eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices.
- Cut slices into 2 1/2 inch lengths.
- Place on baking sheet, sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until eggplant is soft.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan.
- Add peeled and crushed garlic, seeded and chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and water; cook uncovered for 10 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Add eggplant, salt and pepper to sauce.
- Stir lightly to combine.
- Sprinkle with red chili flakes.
- Spoon onto serving plate; serve warm or cold.
I was searching to duplicate the Antipasto di Melanzane that I love at a neighborhood Italian bistro and I must say, this recipe is every bit as delicious as theirs! Thanks Katie in the UP! your recipe is perfect as is.