Recipe by Wildflour
I LOVE making this!! It can be a wonderful lunch or an appetizer! :)Great to take to picnics and the beach! :)
Top Review by DDW
Another great one Wildflour! This was super easy to make, tasty and nice presentation too. Filling possibilites are endless, a thought I had was to add small pieces of artichoke heart. With 2 loaves it makes a lot so the recipe could easily be halved. I served at a party with appetizers but my family really enjoyed eating the leftovers for lunch. Once piece of advice I would note is not to roll the dough too thin, I did and had a few spots the the fillings "leaked" out the sides while baking. The egg wash on the outside with the poppy seeds gives it that extra special look.
- 1 small red sweet bell pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 loaves frozen bread dough, thawed 1 lb. each
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 lb good provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb genoa hard salami, thinly sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Core and seed peppers and cut lengthwise into 1/4" strips.
- Heat oil in large skillet, add peppers, and saute over medium heat til just tender.
- Drain on papertowels.
- Line baking sheets with foil.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out one loaf bread dough into a 14" x 8" rectangle.
- (Dough shrinks, so let it relax and re-roll til it stays in shape.).
- Brush dough with beaten egg.
- Using half of the cheese and half of the salami, layer on cheese first, then salami, leaving a slight edge of dough all the way around.
- Sprinkle with half of the black olives.
- Place half of the peppers down along long edge, not all over.
- Sprinkle whole top lightly with oregano.
- Stretch long edge over the peppers, and continue rolling securely, jellyroll-style.
- Pinch/seal edge and ends.
- Place bread diagonally on baking sheet.
- Repeat all with second loaf.
- Cover loaves loosely with a lightly damp cloth towel and let rise in warm place for 30-45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Brush loaves with egg.
- Make 6-7 slashes on top of each loaf.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.