Recipe by Julesong
This is a nice assortment of veggies and cheese to take to a picnic or potluck, and is quick and easy to put together! You can make the vinaigrette ahead of time, if you like. From Cooking Light. Prep time includes chilling.
Top Review by DriveThruDodger
I made this for a potluck and everyone loved it. I think it might also be good with some pepperoni or salami added. In fact, I think you could add and subtract from this recipe easily. For example...broccoli instead of asparagus (but the asparagus is great!). Maybe a can of garbanzo beans would be good too. Or other types of olives for some variety. It is a fun recipe.
- 3 cups sliced pencil-thin asparagus (in 2-inch pieces, about 3/4 pound)
- 3 cups quartered button mushrooms (about 3/4 pound, I like crimini mushrooms)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, strips
- 1⁄2 cup pitted ripe black olives
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1 (14 ounce) canquartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) jarpickled pepperoncini peppers, drained
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- In a covered pan, steam the sliced asparagus for 4 minutes; drain and plunge the asparagus into the ice water, then drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, mushrooms, bell pepper, black olives, mozzarella cubes, artichoke hearts, and pepperoncini.
- In a small bowl combine the vinegars and remaining ingredients and whisk well (or put it in a jar, cover, and shake well).
- Pour the prepared vinaigrette over the vegetable mixture and toss to coat.
- Place in a covered container and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, stirring or shaking occasionally (you can marinate it longer, but no more than 8 hours, because beyond that will effect the texture).
- Serve either chilled or at room temperature.
- Note: also good with cherry tomatoes added.