Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a nice assortment of veggies and cheese to take to a picnic or potluck, and is quick and easy to put together! You can make the vinaigrette ahead of time, if you like. From Cooking Light. Prep time includes chilling.
- 3 cups sliced pencil-thin asparagus (in 2-inch pieces, about 3/4 pound)
- 3 cups quartered button mushrooms (about 3/4 pound, I like crimini mushrooms)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, strips
- 1⁄2 cup pitted ripe black olives
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1 (14 ounce) canquartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) jarpickled pepperoncini peppers, drained
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- In a covered pan, steam the sliced asparagus for 4 minutes; drain and plunge the asparagus into the ice water, then drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, mushrooms, bell pepper, black olives, mozzarella cubes, artichoke hearts, and pepperoncini.
- In a small bowl combine the vinegars and remaining ingredients and whisk well (or put it in a jar, cover, and shake well).
- Pour the prepared vinaigrette over the vegetable mixture and toss to coat.
- Place in a covered container and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, stirring or shaking occasionally (you can marinate it longer, but no more than 8 hours, because beyond that will effect the texture).
- Serve either chilled or at room temperature.
- Note: also good with cherry tomatoes added.
I made this for a potluck and everyone loved it. I think it might also be good with some pepperoni or salami added. In fact, I think you could add and subtract from this recipe easily. For example...broccoli instead of asparagus (but the asparagus is great!). Maybe a can of garbanzo beans would be good too. Or other types of olives for some variety. It is a fun recipe.
This a great springtime dis to have with family or bring to a pot luck. Very colorful and great flavors.