Recipe by Ex-Pat Mama
This is a hearty recipe from The Gluten-Free Vegan by Susa O'Brien. This recipe is a little fiddly - and I don't usually like that. But it is absolutely my favorite risotto and well worth the extra steps. Serve it with a salad and you've got a complete meal.
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups Baby Spinach, well washed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup arborio rice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet sauté the onion for 3 minutes, until soft. Add the broccoli and squash and continue to cook until the veggies are getting cooked through - but not mushy about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, spinach, garlic and ginger. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add the pine nuts, parsley and red wine. Simmer until the red wine is almost completely absorbed. Remove this mixture from heat and set aside.
- In a stock pot heat the broth until it is simmering. Keep it hot.
- In a dutch over or large pot (yes this is the 3rd pot! I told you it was a fiddly recipe) heat a teaspoon of oil. Add the rice and stir it around until all the grains are coated. When the rice begins to go slightly brown begin to add the stock a ladle full at a time.
- After each addition, stir the rice until the broth is completely absorbed. Then add another ladle. Continue in this manner until all of the stock is absorbed by the rice - your risotto will now have a lovely creamy texture.
- Add the cooked veggie mixture into the risotto, stir through over low heat until completely incorporated.