Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I'm told that oats and oranges work synergistically to provide excellent anti-oxidizing power, and blueberries are an anti-oxidant "superfood," so I combined them all for a delicious, protective, breakfast that's easy enough for me to make while 8 months pregnant and caring for a 1 1/2 yr old too. Please note that the oats need to be the Irish/Scottish steel cut variety if you are going to use the crockpot method. If you prefer to use old-fashioned oats, you can make it all the morning-of. Just prepare the oats as usual and add fruit from there.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pint frozen blueberries
- 1 large navel orange, diced
- skim milk or orange juice, to thin
- The night before, or 8-9 hours before you plan on serving, add cool water, salt, and steel cut oats to the crock pot or slow cooker.
- Turn the cooker on to its "low" setting.
- The next morning, turn off the cooker and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- If you would like to get more juice out of the fruit and into the oatmeal, stir the fruit with the sugar and let the mixture stand a few minutes before adding to the oatmeal.
- If you prefer a less thick bowlful of oats, add some orange juice or milk to reach your desired consistency. Adjust sugar to suite taste as well.