Recipe by Pinay0618
A traditional Colombian dish, posted by Erica on the cooking blog mycolombianrecipes.com.
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 1⁄2 chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup chopped white onion
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages, sliced
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and washed
- 1 ripe plantain, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- avocado, for serving
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, chorizo and bacon. Cook for about 5 -7 minutes or until the bacon and chorizo are well browned.
- Remove the chorizo and bacon from the pot using a slotted spoon and place them on a plate to cool.
- Add the onions, tomato, scallion, red pepper and garlic to the pot where you cooked the meats. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the rice and stir for 2 minutes, then add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, add the salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small skillet, heat the butter and add the plantains. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Add the corn, beans, chorizo and bacon to the rice. Stir, cover and cook for 10 minutes more. Add the cilantro and plantain then mix well and serve with avocado on top.