- 1⁄2 lb dried black beans, cooked according to package directions or 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped divided
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- fresh parsley, chopped (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine olive oil, green pepper, 1 1/2 tablespoon onion, and garlic. Saute until tender.
- Stir in black beans, pepper, vinegar, Tabasco, and bay leaf. Add water and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Using a potato masher or the back of a spoon, mash some of the beans to thicken the liquid a bit. Adjust seasonings.
- Top with remaining onion and brown rice. Garnish with parsley.