Recipe by Annacia
This marinade produces some seriously tender and delicious chicken. In Peru this seasoning is traditional for making grilled beef heart (regular anticuchos). It's wonderful for steaks too. Serve anticuchos de pollo with rice and grilled corn on the cob. This dish is made with aji panca, a mild red chile pepper with a smoky flavor common in Peruvian cooking. You can often find dried aji panca or jarred aji panca paste in specialty stores or Latin food markets.
Top Review by Chocolatl
If you don't like garlic, move along! I've had beef heart anticuchos many times, but this is the first time I've tried it with chicken. The flavor is intense and wonderful. The crisp onions make a wonderful contrast with the tender chicken. Delicious. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT Witchin Kitchen.
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup mild chili pepper, paste (aji panca, if available)
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large red onion
- about 15 fresh large mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- wooden skewer (about 15)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash the garlic with a rock, or with a mortar and pestle. Add a little water if necessary to make a paste.
- Make the marinade: in a bowl, mix the crushed garlic, 1/4 cup of the vinegar, 1/4 cup chile pepper paste, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 tablespoon salt, and 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper.
- .Cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch by 2 inch cubes. Place chicken pieces in bowl with the marinade and stir well. Marinate chicken at least one hour, or overnight in the refrigerator for best flavor.
- Peel the onion and cut into 1 inch wedges.Remove the seeds and the white part of the bell pepper, and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- Place the chicken and vegetable pieces on the wooden skewers, alternating the chicken with the vegetables.
- Make a basting mixture of 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/4 cup vinegar, and a pinch of cumin.
- Prepare the grill, and grill chicken for 5 minutes on each side. Baste chicken several times during cooking.
- Cut a piece of the chicken to check for doneness. If the chicken is still pink on the inside, place it back on the grill, checking frequently. Do not overcook.
- 9.Remove the chicken from the grill. Serve with rice and corn on the cob.