Recipe by Elizabeth H.
Warning: this recipe contains crackers, which Martha says is a MAJOR NO-NO! But it's moist and flavorful and is easy enough for a junior chef to make! Tested at high altitude.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- salt (unless using bouillon cubes)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 package Club crackers, coarsely crushed (approx. 20-24)
Directions See How It's Made
- Begin preheating oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine first 9 ingredients in bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Mix in crushed crackers until well-blended.
- Pat mixture into ungreased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60-90 minutes.
- NOTE 1: Here at high altitude, this recipe needs 90 minutes to bake.
- At lower altitudes, it won't take as long.
- NOTE 2: Honey dijon salad dressing makes a nice substitute for ketchup in this recipe and gives the meatloaf an elegant flavor.