Recipe by Kree
Who needs drugs when you have these brownies?! They're so rich and chocolately I would NEVER have guessed they're low fat... but the ingredients don't lie! I've found my new favorite brownie recipe. Be careful, though... just like the drugs, they're habit-forming. I got this recipe from TessLouise on the IBS message boards at www.helpforIBS.com.
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large egg whites (or 1/2 cup Egg Beaters)
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9x13" baking pan with cooking oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cocoa and baking soda (I like to sift them together to destroy any lumps in the cocoa).
- Blend in the oil, and mix until smooth.
- Pour in the boiling water, stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Stir in the applesauce, the sugar, and the egg whites; mix until smooth.
- Add the flour and the vanilla; blend completely- there should be no lumps.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Spread the batter evenly to avoid crispy edges.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes (25-30 minutes if using a Pyrex pan), until just set in the middle.
- Let cool and cut into squares.
- Note: I've also halved this and baked it in an 8x8" glass pan and it was done in about 25 minutes.