Recipe by WaterMelon
It's a funny chicken pie with rice and uses white toast as the crust. My BF Anth loves it.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (approx 150g)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (22 g) package cream of mushroom soup (3/4 oz, I used Campbell's) or 1 (22 g) package chicken soup powder (3/4 oz, I used Campbell's)
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, chopped, partially cooked in the microwave for 2-3mins
- 1⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup cooked rice (I used long grain)
- 3 slices white bread
- 3 teaspoons mayonnaise or 3 teaspoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound the chicken breasts with a meat mallet/rolling pin, between clingwrap, until quite thin.
- Season with salt and pepper, rub them into meat with fingers.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a skillet, over medium heat.
- Once hot, pan-fry chicken for 1-2 minutes per side, until cooked; remove and cool slightly.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside (I use kitchen shears).
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in the same skillet.
- Once hot, saute onions until translucent for approx 1 minute.
- Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked chicken pieces, stir well.
- Dissolve soup mix in the 3/4 cup of hot water.
- Add soup mixture, dried herbs, carrots and corn to skillet and let cook until thickened.
- Place half of the chicken mixture in a ovenproof casserole or individual ramekins, top with rice then followed by the chicken again.
- Spread mayo/butter on one side of the bread, then top the casserole/ramekins with bread, buttered side up.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 8-10mins at 375°C, until toast is browned.