Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Lightly breaded chicken breast covered with a honey mustard barbecue sauce containing chopped bacon, diced tomatoes and onions. This dish is baked over pasta topped with Monterey Jack Cheese.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This was an interesting recipe, but really tasty. Not sure that i liked the BBQ sauce on the pasta; it would have been really good smothering the chicken and then topped with cheese. I used grape tomatoes that I cut in half so DH could easily pick them out and I used whole grain mustard instead of the spicy brown since that is what I found in the fridge. Made for My Three Chefs.
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 6 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb sliced bacon
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (18 ounce) bottlehoney mustard barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°F). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Transfer to a deep dish 9- x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Dip the chicken breasts in the egg mixture, then roll in bread crumbs to coat. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken breasts until the juices run clear, and they are well browned on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain. Drain excess oil from the chicken pan, leaving it coated.
- While the chicken is cooking, place the bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove the bacon from pan. crumble and set aside.
- Place the skillet that used to have chicken in it over medium heat. Add tomato, onion, bacon, and cook for about 3 minutes, or until onion is soft. Pour in the barbecue sauce, and spicy mustard. Simmer for 5 minutes. Pour the sauce over the pasta in the dish, then place the chicken on the top, and cover with shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is melted and dish is heated through.