1/2 Photos of Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Vichyssoise
1 hr 20 mins
This is an adopted recipe that I have not yet tried. The original chef comments: "I grew up on this wonderful cold soup, and when my Grandmother passed away, the recipe went with her, until I got Anthony Bourdain's wonderful cookbook, "Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook". This is so close to the Vichyssoise I loved, and you will too!"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1I a large, heavy bottom pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Once butter is melted, add the leeks and sweat for 5 minutes, making sure they do not take on any color.
- 2Add potatoes and cook for a minute or two, stirring a few times.
- 3Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook on low heat, gently simmering for 35 minutes, or until the leeks and potatoes are very soft. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- 5Slowly, and in SMALL batches, puree the soup at a high speed in the blender. Do this bit by bit, never filling the blender too high. Make sure the benders lid is on, and lean on the top when you turn on. If not the burn you will get is awful, and a most frequent accident in even professional kitchens.
- 6Return soup to the cooking pot and whisk in cream and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Return to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook 5 minutes. If you want to thin soup out, add more broth, if needed.
- 7Transfer soup to the mixing bowl an chill over the ice bath, stirring occasionally. When soup is at Room temperature, and only at room temperature, cover in plastic wrap and put into the refrigerator to cool.
- 8Check seasoning, sprinkle with chives and serve in chilled bowls.
- 9This soup DOES get better over time. Keep covered with plastic, not foil in the refrigerator, or it will pick up other tastes.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Vichyssoise
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 497.5
- Calories from Fat 345
- Total Fat 38.4 g
- Saturated Fat 23.4 g
- Cholesterol 131.4 mg
- Sodium 240.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: