Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
My grandma's Aunt Bessie got this recipe from her mother. It is so sweet and makes perfect challah french toast if you can't finish the loaf during dinner.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine (or butter)
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (adjust for more sweetness if you want)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 4 cups flour (or more)
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup raisins (add for Rosh Hashana)
- 1 egg wash (1 egg with a little water)
- put margarine in bowl.
- pour water over it.
- add salt and sugar.
- let cool.
- add yeast.
- cover bowl with towel and let stand 10 minutes. make sure yeast is bubbling.
- add 2 cups of flour and egg.
- add more flour until dough can be turned out on board and knead, adding flour until not sticky.
- grease bowl, put dough in and cover.
- let rise until doubled (45 mins to an hour).
- punch down, cover, and let rise again.
- shape challah and brush with egg wash.
- bake at 350 til brown on top (about 30 mins).