Recipe by IngridH
From 'Swedish Food", the little red cookbook that my mother always cooked the traditional dishes out of. I must confess that it's never been one of my favorites, but my parents adore it and always serve it with Authentic Swedish Meatballs, which is one of my favorites. My mother says the proper name, in Swedish, for this dish is Janssons Frestelse. Posted for ZWT6.
- 20 anchovy fillets
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced in strips (like french fries)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus more to butter the pan
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sauté sliced onions in 1 tablespoon butter.
- Butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- Layer half the potatoes, then the onions, then the anchovies, and finish with e remaining potatoes.
- Pour in a little juice from the anchovy can, then dot the casserole with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then add half the cream.
- Bake for another 10 minutes, then add the remaining cream.
- Reduce the heat to 300F and bake for 20 minutes.
- Casserole is ready if the potatoes are soft.