Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Anasazi beans are so pretty! Imagine a bean that has the coloring of a paint horse! They also cook up faster than other beans and have a pleasant almost sweet flavor.
- 4 cups anasazi beans or 4 cups pinto beans, already cooked
- 2 tablespoons olives or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, roasted, skinned and chopped (a Poblano is a green ancho chile)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup mild Mexican cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Place beans in a heavy saucepan.
- In a skillet, heat the oil on medium and sweat the onion and garlic, add the tomatoes and poblano pepper.
- When all have stewed, add to the beans. Sprinkle the cheese when serving.
- Serve with cornbread.