Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Since I'm old, lazy and apathetic, I wanted a stuffed cabbage taste without the work...I searched Zaar and found everything I wanted but not all in one recipe...I did however borrow the sauce Oh So Good Cabbage Rolls from ZaarChef JoAnn...And is it ever good... I've tried a lot of cabbage roll recipes and I like this one...
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 red bell pepper (or color of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or your preference)
- 1 cup crushed cracker (I use oyster crackers)
- 1⁄2 cup Minute Rice
- 2 teaspoons mince garlic (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Partially cook the cabbage in a coverd pot in an inch or so of water-- Stir occassionally.
- Place in a collander, rinse with cold water and drain really well-- Brown the ground beef in a frying pan along with the red pepper, onion and oil.
- in a bowl, mix the sauce ingredients; tomato sauce, brown sugar and lemmon juice.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, spread a thin layer of the sauce.
- Next, add a layer of the drained cabbage.
- Spread the cracker crumbs somewhat evenly and then the ground beef mixture.
- Sprinkle the garlic, rice and Emerill's Essence on the mixture-- Add another layer of the sauce to lightly cover the ingredients-- Layer the remaining cabbage and then the rest of the sauce-- May not be much sauce left for the top but don't fuss over it-- It all comes out in the end-- Season with salt, pepper, etc-- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours-- Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes-- Enjoy--.