1 hr 30 mins
Expand your menu with dependable staples from the pantry: marinara sauce, chicken broth, red wine. I found this on Country Living and it seems very workable!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (1 loaf)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/4 lbs medium red onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick (About 3 onions)
- 8 ounces medium carrots, peeled and quartered lengthwise (About 5)
- 15 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups marinara sauce
- 29 ounces low sodium chicken broth (2 14 1/2-ounce cans)
- 1 1/4 cups hearty italian red wine, such as Chianti or 1 1/4 cups sangiovese wine
- 1MAKE THE CROUTONS:.
- 2Heat oven to 450ºF.
- 3Toss the bread cubes with 2 tablespoons olive oil and the pepper in a large bowl.
- 4Spread the bread, in a single layer, on a baking pan and toast in the oven until golden -- about 6 minutes & set aside.
- 5MAKE THE SOUP:.
- 6Gently toss the onions, carrots, garlic, remaining olive oil, and salt together in the bowl.
- 7Spread the vegetables, in a single layer, on a baking pan and roast for 10 minutes, turn, and continue to roast until browned -- about 10 more minutes.
- 8Transfer the roasted vegetables to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade and pulse until finely chopped.
- 9Combine the marinara sauce, chicken broth, and wine in a large saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- 10Reduce heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer for 5 minutes.
- 11Add chopped vegetables, increase heat to medium, and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- 12Stir in half of the croutons and cook for 5 more minutes. (The soup will become thickened.)
- 13Place soup in warmed bowls and garnish with reserved croutons.
- 14Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Another Tomato and Garlic Bread Soup
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.7
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 762.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: