Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is a little lighter than another similar one already posted. Still with all the good stuff & plenty chewy! Reeived in email from gourmet_recipes_from_around_the_world, thanks Berrie!
- 3 1⁄4-3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 ounce active dry yeast (2 packages)
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed (optional)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons orange peel, finely shredded
- 2 1⁄2 cups rye flour
- milk (optional)
- caraway seed (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl combine 2-1/2 cups of the all-purpose flour, the.
- yeast, the 2 teaspoons caraway seed, and, if desired, fennel seed.
- In a saucepan heat and stir the 2 cups milk, the brown sugar, molasses,.
- butter, and salt just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F). Add the.
- milk mixture to dry mixture along with orange peel. Beat with electric mixer.
- on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on.
- high speed for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in the rye flour and as much.
- of the remaining all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining.
- all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and.
- elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place dough in a.
- greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm.
- place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Grease a.
- baking sheet. Shape each half of dough into a round loaf. Place on prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 30 minutes). If desired, brush tops of loaves with a little additional milk and sprinkle lightly with additional caraway seed.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer loaves to wire rack; cool completely.