Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here's a recipe that is sweet, hot, and salty! Serve on a bed of rice with some Louisana hot sauce on the side!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) can chilies, diced (optional)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb baby shrimp
- Heat olive oil in a large fry pan.
- Add vegetables/ garlic and fry until tender.
- Add molasses, Worcestershire sauce, salt, basil, chilies and chili powder.
- Add tomatoes and simmer until heated through.
- Add shrimp and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Taste and make adjustments to your own taste.
- Serve on a bed of rice w/ Louisiana hot sauce on the side.
This recipe was delicious. What a great flavor the molasses adds to the sauce. You can also adjust the amount of “heat” really easily depending on what kind of chilis you add. The crowd I made this for are not big fans of spicy food, so I used a milder green chili, and they thought the dish had the perfect mix of a “little spice” and well as sweet. If I made it for me personally, I’d go with a little hotter chili, so that was great. I did only used about half the amount of tomatoes called for. I only had (4) 14 ½ oz cans of diced tomatoes, and by the time I added two of them with juice, it looked just right. Thanks, Barbara for the great recipe. It got thumbs up from the whole family.
My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed this dish. We like things on the milder side so I used the diced tomatoes with the chilis already in them. Our 14 year old son and his friend wouldn't give it a chance because of the vegies and the seafood- they only put the broth over their rice. Their loss. Hubby and I will get another meal of it:)
This was a really good recipe. It was just a little sweeter than I would normanly like, but not bad at all. I will definately make this recipe again. It was so quick and easy. Just the right dish for those nights that you just don't want to slave over a hot stove for a long time.