1008 hrs 15 mins
My Private Note
- 1Shred cabbage.
- 2Pack shredded cabbage in clean quart glass canning jars and pack down with a clean wooden spoon.
- 3Add 1 teaspoon of canning salt and 1 teaspoon sugar to each quart jar.
- 4Add boiling water to just cover cabbage.
- 5Jars should be only partially sealed for first 3 or 4 weeks.
- 6Set in a cool dark place.
- 7Some juice flows out during fermentation and it will smell terrible as it ferments.
- 8Refill jars after 2 weeks with brine made by adding 1 tablespoon canning salt to 1 pint water.
- 9Seal tight and let fermentation continue.
- 10Best kraut results when jars are kept at around 70 degrees F.
- 11Takes about 4 to 6 weeks for kraut to cure perfectly.
- 12Process in boiling water bath 15 minutes.
- 13Start counting processing time as soon as jars are placed in actively boiling water.
- 14I haven't tried this recipe, but my mom gave it to me, so I figure it should be good.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Another Sauerkraut Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (0 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g