Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is another recipe from my children's cookbook, "Emeril's There's A Chef In My Soup!" Prep time does not reflect time to cool rice. Serves 8 to 12
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package bean sprouts, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Spread the cooked rice out onto the prepared baking sheet and cool at room temperature for one hour.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and scramble, stirring constantly.
- Break up the eggs into little pieces with the back of a spoon.
- Transfer the eggs to a bowl and set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the remaining 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil to the skillet.
- Add the yellow onion, bean sprouts, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, green onion, peas, celery and garlic.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add the cooled rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 4 minutes.
- Return the scrambled eggs to the skillet.
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Very good! I scaled this down to 2 servings and enjoyed every last bite. I didn't use the bean sprouts because I didn't have any. I also just cut the carrot in small chunks. Thanks!