Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- vegetable oil
For the sauce
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 small red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small orange bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added ketchup
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- fresh cilantro leaves or parsley, to garnish
- Mix together the egg yolks, with a tablespoon of water, the cornstarch, and some salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a wok or deep frying pan.
- Toss the chicken in the cornstarch mixture and deep-fry in batches for 5 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Empty the oil from the wok to leave a thin coating in the pan.
- Stir-fry the onion and peppers over a high heat for 3 minutes.
- Drain the pineapple cubes (reserving the juice), add to the pan, and cook for a minute or two.
- Mix together the cornstarch and a little of the pineapple juice to form a paste, then stir in the remaining juice, the ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, and ½ cup water.
- Pour this into the pan and bring to a boil, stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Stir the chicken pieces into the pan and simmer for 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Check the seasoning and then divide among the bowls.
- Scatter the cilantro or parsley on top and serve.