Prep 1 min
Cook 1 min
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 cup almonds
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 -3 tablespoons skim milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Butter (or use a cooking spray) a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 cm) pan.
- BOTTOM LAYER: In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the sugar and cocoa powder and then gradually whisk in the beaten egg. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens (1 - 2 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and chopped nuts. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate until firm (about an hour).
- FILLING: In your electric mixer cream the butter. Beat in the remaining ingredients. If the mixture is too thick to spread, add a little more milk. Spread the filling over the bottom layer, cover, and refrigerate until firm (about 30 minutes).
- TOP LAYER: In a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter. Spread over the filling and refrigerate.
- TO SERVE: To prevent the chocolate from cracking, using a sharp knife, bring the squares to room temperature before cutting.
- Yield: Makes about 25 squares.