Recipe by dgoonan
I was looking for a low calorie healthy bran muffin recipe that tasted like a traditional bran muffin, and finally came up with a sort of "Frankenstein monster" conglomeration of a basic recipe with several substitutions. They turned out great and at around 100 calories per muffin they have become my favorite. NOTE: You can use any combination of oat bran and wheat bran to make the 1 1/2 cups bran. Oat bran has its own benefits, but adds more calories.
Top Review by Sarah F.
I made an account on food.com just to review this recipe! I love bran and have been searching for low calorie bran muffin recipes. This one is the best! They come out to 97 calories per muffin. I follow the recipe exactly, but use 1/4 cup of mollases and unsweetened cashew milk instead of skim milk. I've tried them with craisins and they're great. Also tried with wheat germ, but it really increases the calorie count.
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk (minus 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (added to skim milk above to make soured milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray muffin cups with Pam (or equivalent).
- Add skim milk to vinegar to make 1 cup soured milk and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add soured milk to bran; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix together applesauce, egg, Splenda, molasses and vanilla and then add to milk/bran mixture.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to bran/milk mixture, and stir just until blended.
- Fold in raisins (if desired) and spoon batter into muffin tins.
- Bake for 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and enjoy!