Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 5 lbs beef or 5 lbs veal bones, cut into small pieces
- 3⁄4 lb onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces carrots, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 4 whole peppercorns
- In a stockpot, cover the bones with cold water, bring to a simmer.
- Drain off the water and rinse the bones until the water runs clear.
- After rinsing, add 3 quarts of water to the bones, then the onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves, and peppercorns.
- Simmer for at least 7 hours, never allowing the liquid to boil this may be done in a crockpot, if you like.
- Strain through a medium mesh.
- Discard the solids, cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cold.
Okay, but we didn't really enjoy it much.