Recipe by marisk
This recipe seems to be posted in many recipe websites. Suggestions from one of the sites: Chill the haupia filling and frosting before spreading. If your lower layer isn't flat, use a knife to cut it flat. The filling may not sit well on a rounded cake. Cook/prep times are estimates.
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- shredded coconut
FROSTING AND FILLING
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions using 2/3 cup of the coconut milk, water, and the egg whites.
- Cool and split layers.
- Reserve top layer; spread haupia filling on the remaining layers. Chill until set.
- Soften gelatin in remaining coconut milk; dissolve over hot water. Cool.
- Whip cream; fold in gelatin mixture, sugar and extract.
- Stack cake layers; frost with whipped cream mixture.
- Sprinkle cake with coconut.
- FROSTING AND FILLING:.
- In a sauce pan heat coconut milk, mix sugar, salt, and cornstarch with water; stir into hot coconut milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Stir in vanilla and cool.