1 hr 30 mins
Bonnie G #2's Note:
Found this recipe in a magazine and though it has multiple steps in preparation it is so worth it. I found the Ancho chilis in the Mexican section of my grocery store and I am told they are the sweetest of all the dried chilies. Hope you like this as much as my family did.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 dried ancho chile
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch in coins
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 6 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil, for frying
- sliced avocado
- monterey jack cheese (shredded or crumbled)
- sour cream
- lime wedge
- 1Place chili in small, heatproof bowl, pour boiling water over and let soak for 30 minutes. Drain, remove stem and seeds and slice into 1/2 inch strips and set aside.
- 2In heave Dutch oven or soup pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper, brown both sides, about 10 minutes total.
- 3Add onion, carrots and celery and continue to cook about 8 minutes, stirring often.
- 4Add garlic and cumin and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- 5Add broth, reserved chili, tomatoes and cilantro and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes.
- 7With your hands, tear 3 tortillas into 2-inch strips and add to soup. Continue to simmer about 15 minutes.
- 8With slotted spoon, remove chicken to a cutting board, take soup off heat.
- 9With an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth (or puree in small batches in a food processor.
- 10With tow forks, shred chicken, return to soup. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- 11Slice remaining tortillas into 1/4 inch strips. In small saucepan, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil until very hot. Fry tortilla strips until crisp, about 1 minute.
- 12With slotted spoon, remove strips to paper-towel-lined plate and season with salt.
- 13Serve soup in bowls topped with tortilla strips and any or all of the optional garnishes to include sliced avocado, cheese, sour cream, salsa, lime wedges and/or Cilantro.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Another Great Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (575 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 344.6
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 42.9 mg
- Sodium 1258.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 22.9 g