Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a nice variation on the usual relish. The basic sweetness comes from the apples, so don't go for a tart apple. Leftovers are great mixed into cereal.
- Chop cranberries roughly.
- Put in medium saucepan with 1/2 cup water and the currants.
- Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Cook cranberries, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in apples.
- Cook, covered, over low heat for 5 minutes to soften apples.
- When soft, raise heat to medium high, add sugar, and cook for 4- 5 minutes more, or until apples are very soft.
- Remove from heat.
- Lightly mash apple and cranberry mix with a pastry cutter.
- Stir in walnuts.
I don't believe I have ever had a cranberry dish similar to this before. It is a nice change of pace from traditional cranberries. I did reduce the amount of apples to 4 cups instead of the 6. Instead of currants I used raisins. This has a tartness that goes well with turkey.