Recipe by Seedbeads
We spent 3 years tweaking this chili recipe, and the basics of it still stick today anytime we make it, which is at least once a month. There are so many variations on it but I'm listing just the basic recipe. Feel free to add veggies or change the meat.
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 538.64 g can stewed tomatoes (pref. chili style)
- 473.18 ml salsa (one jar)
- 2 (793.78 g) can pork and beans with molasses
- 538.64 g can black beans, rinsed
- 29.58-59.16 ml chili powder (or more to taste)
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 14.79 ml cocoa powder
- 59.14 ml cornmeal (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef in a large pot; drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, cook the onion and garlic in a litte oil until softened. Return the beef to the pot.
- Add the tomatoes, salsa, beans, and chili powder and stir together. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally to scrape the bottom of the pot. Add water if additional liquid is needed.
- Stir in brown sugar and cocoa powder, and adjust seasoning to your taste. If you prefer a thicker chili, stir in the cornmeal.
- Let simmer another 10 minutes or so and serve.
- You can also add diced carrots, celery, mushrooms, corn, zucchini, even diced eggplant to add more nutrients and make more servings.