Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Yes, yet another tortilla soup recipe, but mine is a bit different from what I had seen posted. Could be wrong, but decided to post so I would it where I can find it! The original of this recipe had a jalapeno chopped and seeded and a fresh tomato chopped. I changed it to a can of Rotel which was easier for me. Also, I add fresh chopped cilantro to my mood - usually a lot of it - I love it! Feel free to top with favorite toppings! Prep time is approx.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (or more, depending on how hot you want it!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice (I use V-8)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (I use Lea & Perrin's)
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce (if I don't have on hand, I use Allegro Marinade)
- fresh cilantro, chopped (to taste, I have also used about 1 tablespoon dried but add that when I saute the onions)
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- tortilla chips
- grated cheese (I use co-jack)
- Saute onion, peppers and garlic in oil until soft. Add all of the rest except your add ins. Cover and simmer for at least an hour after bringing to a boil. Break up tortilla chips or can use corn tortillas cup into strips. I prefer the chips! Top with cheese!
Great soup, especially for these first cool days of fall. I didn't have the tortilla chips on hand, but can't imagine this being any better than it was. Thanks for the great recipe.
I loved it! I omitted the steak sauce and beef broth because I didn't have any, but it came out great!