Recipe by glitter
A soup from the stone age! My great-grandmothers were making this one, but have to admit those grandmas could make anything worthwhile!
Top Review by sloe cooker
This was so easy to make and so very good. I browned chicken wingletts, it was what I had, it took me a while to pick the meat off, when it was time to, but it was worth it. I added a couple handfulls of egg noodles to the soup about 15 minutes before serving, as I had no rice. This would go great with a grill cheese sandwich. Made for Soup-Fest 2011 tag game. Thanks for posting this recipe glitter.
- 3 lbs fryer chickens, cut-up
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 sprigs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 -3 chicken bouillon cubes (I buy the base from which I use 2-3 tsp.)
- 1 pinch dried sage, ground fine in a mortar and pestle (or add more to taste)
- 1 pinch thyme (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 -10 cups water, you need enough water to cover your chicken well
- 2 cups cooked rice (use only what you need or as much as you like)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the chicken in the margarine on all sides quickly until nicely brown all around.
- Approximately 15 min.
- Turn the fire to medium sprinkle the flour over the chicken and keep stirring.
- It will seem a little lumpy, but this will stir out.
- You want to lose the flour taste, so allow this to become a light roux, but not brown.
- Add a little water at a time, keep stirring, you want to get out all the lumps.
- When it seems to be blending well add the rest of the ingredients (water and spices) except the rice.
- Let this cook about 30 min.
- until the chicken is tender.
- Add any seasoning if necessary.
- If you like, take the meat off the bone and return it to the soup, or serve it at the side.
- Serve the rice in the soup.
- Heavy crusted bread is outstanding with this soup and also very hardy.
- Children really like this soup.
- For children you can cut out the tumeric and cut the pepper some they like less spices.
- This is a healthy soup too.