1/3 Photos of Another Chicken Soup Recipe???
A soup from the stone age! My great-grandmothers were making this one, but have to admit those grandmas could make anything worthwhile!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs fryer chickens, cut-up
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 sprigs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 -3 chicken bouillon cubes (I buy the base from which I use 2-3 tsp.)
- 1 pinch dried sage, ground fine in a mortar and pestle (or add more to taste)
- 1 pinch thyme (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 -10 cups water, you need enough water to cover your chicken well
- 2 cups cooked rice (use only what you need or as much as you like)
- 1Brown the chicken in the margarine on all sides quickly until nicely brown all around.
- 2Approximately 15 min.
- 3Turn the fire to medium sprinkle the flour over the chicken and keep stirring.
- 4It will seem a little lumpy, but this will stir out.
- 5You want to lose the flour taste, so allow this to become a light roux, but not brown.
- 6Add a little water at a time, keep stirring, you want to get out all the lumps.
- 7When it seems to be blending well add the rest of the ingredients (water and spices) except the rice.
- 8Let this cook about 30 min.
- 9until the chicken is tender.
- 10Add any seasoning if necessary.
- 11If you like, take the meat off the bone and return it to the soup, or serve it at the side.
- 12Serve the rice in the soup.
- 13Heavy crusted bread is outstanding with this soup and also very hardy.
- 14Children really like this soup.
- 15For children you can cut out the tumeric and cut the pepper some they like less spices.
- 16This is a healthy soup too.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Another Chicken Soup Recipe???
Serving Size: 1 (464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 633.4
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 199.7 mg
- Sodium 188.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 63.7 g