Recipe by Chef Emstar
This is a classic and basic soup that's absolutely delicious. I don't know that it really cures what ails you, but it sure makes you feel better.
Top Review by Julia W.
I used the basic recipe for my soup. Then I added the Silver Fox twist. Swiss Chard, Sweet Potatoes,parsnips. The additions made the soup really good. Chicken thighs cook much faster than a whole chicken. A great starter recipe for me. Thanks
- 2 -3 bone in chicken breasts, skin removed
- 2 celery ribs, cut in 3 inch lengths including leaves if any
- 1 onion, skin on cut into quarters
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed, skin-on
- 2 carrots, cut in 3 inch lengths (for the stock)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 -4 carrots, peeled, trimmed and cut into rounds
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 12 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Start by making the stock. In a stock pot or dutch oven place the onion or leek, garlic, carrots, celery, salt, peppercorns, bay leaf, water and chicken. You can add any chicken carcass pieces you have in the freezer. Put on Medium high heat.
- When you start to see bubbles, turn down to medium low to keep simmering. Partially cover with a lid.
- After 30 minutes, remove chicken. As soon as it’s cool enough to handle peel the chicken off the bones and return the bones to the broth.
- Shred the chicken into small bite-sized pieces.
- Continue simmering the broth for 3-8hrs.
- Strain the broth by pouring it through a colander into a large bowl or pot.
- Add the broth, carrots and shredded chicken back to the pot and turn up to high. When its boiling add the noodles and cook for 8 minutes. Taste for salt.