Recipe by Bonnie G #2
Found this recipe in a Paula Deen Magazine and using Gruyere cheese, sour cream, fresh mushrooms and panko it's just enough differant that I want to save it until I can give it a try. I think it'd make a nice, impressive side for a company dinner. As an update - finally got around to making this and it was even better than I thought. I used one of those bags of a combination of broccoli and Cauliflower and it even had baby carrots in it which made for some pretty color. Pretty easy to put together and EVERYONE at the party asked for the recipe. Unfortunatly it was gone before I was even able to take a picture, but will just have to make again just for that.
Top Review by tarapannell
Love this!! Was asked three years ago to make a broccoli casserole for Thanksgiving, and didn't want to make just an ordinary one. Found this recipe and made it. Now it's what I make. Everyone loves it - no complaints :) My only complaint is that there aren't any leftovers for me to bring home!!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 onion, small chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, any kind
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups broccoli florets, fresh and steamed crisp-tender
- 4 cups cauliflower florets, fresh and steamed until crisp-tender
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly grease an 11x7 inch baking dish.
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in milk and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Stir in sour cream, cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in broccoli and cauliflower and spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine panko and melted butter.
- Sprinkle evenly over casserole,.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown and casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.