Recipe by Outta Here
There are several variations on this dish. Here is another. (no coconut milk in this one) Can be served over cooked white rice.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs halibut fillets, boneless (or cod)
- 1⁄2 lb medium raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, diced, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups fish stock (or water)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the fillets into bite-size pieces. Cut the shrimp in half lengthwise. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or heavy soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and saute chopped onion for a few minutes, until it starts to soften. Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno, bell peppers, lime juice, paprika, salt and pepper and fish stock. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add fish. Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until fish is almost cooked through. Add Shrimp and simmer until shrimp turns pink.
- Serve immediately. (if serving with rice, spoon some hot rice into a bowl and ladle stew over it.).