There are several variations on this dish. Here is another. (no coconut milk in this one) Can be served over cooked white rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs halibut fillets, boneless (or cod)
- 1/2 lb medium raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, diced, undrained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups fish stock (or water)
- 1Cut the fillets into bite-size pieces. Cut the shrimp in half lengthwise. Set aside.
- 2In a Dutch oven or heavy soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and saute chopped onion for a few minutes, until it starts to soften. Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- 3Add the tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno, bell peppers, lime juice, paprika, salt and pepper and fish stock. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- 4Add fish. Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until fish is almost cooked through. Add Shrimp and simmer until shrimp turns pink.
- 5Serve immediately. (if serving with rice, spoon some hot rice into a bowl and ladle stew over it.).
Browse Our Top Halibut Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Halibut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Another Brazilian Fish Stew
Serving Size: 1 (716 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.7
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 242.9 mg
- Sodium 987.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 76.9 g