Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
A sweet, tangy bean salad.
- 1 cup sugar (if you prefer a less sweet bean salad, reduce this amount to 3 tablespoons and add more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white, cider, or champagne vinegar (and 1/4 tsp balsamic, to taste)
- 1 (16 ) can green beans, drained
- 1 (16 ) can yellow beans, drained
- 1 (16 ) can lima beans, drained (optional)
- 1 (16 ) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 16 ounces red kidney beans, drained
- 1 green pepper, slivered (or red/yellow/orange bell pepper or a combination)
- 4 celery, sliced (or fennel)
- 3 medium onions, sliced thin
- Combine sugar, salt vinegar in pan, bring to boil for 1 min.
- Let cool.
- Toss all other ingredients together and pour the vinegar mixture over them.
- Marinate for 24 hrs in refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
What a hit! Everyone was wary about my making bean salad but this was terrific. Had too much marinade but used it on green salad and another success. Definately needed the overnight to soften the celery but well worth it. Took me about ten minutes to make enough to serve ten. Excellent :)
I got this recipe from my grandmother and it is wonderful. You can cut back on the sugar a little if you want it a little less sweet. I'm not a huge fan of lima beans or wax beans, but this recipe makes them yummy. A definite favorite of mine.
Wonderful salad. I had so much marinade I put in a can of drained corn. It's amazing how good such a simple blending of ingredients can be. Good by itself or in a lettuce salad with avocado.