Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Back in the 50s picture salads were popular and this one, perhaps, the most popular one of all. One-half of a banana and a pineapple slice makes an upright candle which can be trimmed in a number of ways. This version comes from Penzey's monthly magazine. An alternate version is given below; it comes from a church cookbook.
- 2 bananas
- 4 slices canned pineapple (or make rings from fresh pineapple)
- 4 orange gumdrops
- 4 ounces cream cheese (1/2 of 8 oz. pkg.)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Blend the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon together with a mixer. Reserve.
- Peel bananas and cut in half crosswise. Remove the tips.
- Divide the lettuce among 4 plates Place a pineapple ring in the center of each plate. Fill the center with reserved cream cheese mixture. Place a banana (pointed end up) upright in the center of pineapple ring. Top the banana with a gumdrop "flame." Squeeze a little cream cheese m mixture onto the tip of each "candle" to represent wax.
- NOTE: As an alternate to the cream cheese mixture above, mix two tablespoons mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon peanut butter. Pour over "candle." Use a maraschino cherry for the "flame" instead of the gumdrop.