Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so easy and great for a light desert or with coffee in the morning. It's adapted from a Bisquik recipe and was given to me by a friend of my mother-in-law, a lovely lady named Ann. You will probably have all of the ingredients and can have this in the oven in less & your kitchen smelling heavenly in less than 15 minutes. Keeps great and no need to refrigerate.
- 3 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons shortening or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 6 tablespoons stick butter
- Combine all cake ingredients well and pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25 -30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare icing: Combine topping ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a slow boil/simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Poke holes in cake and pour icing over cake while still warm.
- After pouring over cake, sit cake under broiler for 30 seconds-1 minute (watch).
- Let cool before serving.
ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS AND EASY. My daughter had a sleepover for her birthday and early this AM I went looking for a Bisquick coffee cake recipe. They scarfed it down- the rest of us could hardly get to it! MODIFICATIONS- I added 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder to the batter, and sprinkled a dash of cinnamon-sugar mix (I keep for making cinnamon toast) over the top of the bake cake before pouring on the glaze. For the nut lovers I sprinkled some toasted pecans over about 1/4 of the cake and then added the glaze. WATCH the glaze- it was done in 30seconds in my oven. This is totally worth making
I woke up thi9s morning with an absolute CRAVING(!) for this cake. This was one of the first things I learned how to cook. I don't remember the topping, but it's lovely. Kaleigh and Ann, ya done good!