Prep 55 mins
Cook 25 mins
When I was 18 my friend Ann's parents owned a cafe in our small town (Uniontown, WA). One day she brought over the best sugar cookies I have ever tasted! I had to have the recipe...
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Mix together butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and almond extract in a large bowl.
- In another bowl stir together flour, soda, and cream of tartar.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface roll each half to 3/16 of an inch.
- Cut out shapes as desired and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake on cookie sheets for about 8 minutes.
IMO - these cookies have perfect sugar cookie flavor, not too sweet and not too plain. They are light vs. being dense. I always undercook my cookies, since I always seem to burn them LOL! I baked them for about 6.5 minutes. PERFECT golden brown bottoms :) Thanks for posting this recipe!!! :)
I made these twice now and they are a hit but not as soft as I would like them to be.
Fantastic! They don't have the funny taste that some sugar cookies and snickerdoodles do.