Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This stew is great when you have errands to run, go shopping, go skiing (the original name was Ann's Skier Stew)....whatever. Great with crusty hot French bread or sourdough bread.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs stew meat
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced, undrained
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons tapioca (3 Tbsp. flour may be substituted)
- 1 (15 ounce) can green peas, undrained
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 carrots, cut in small pieces
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- In the bottom of a large casserole, spread the stew meat.
- In the order listed above, add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook at 250ºF for 4 to 5 hours.
- Stir after 3 hours.
- This can stay in the oven longer until needed, or may be reheated.
- Freezes well.
Boy, was this great to come home to! I used frozen peas and was out of burgundy, so used merlot. I was met with the most wonderful aroma when I got home. I then stirred it and let it cook the additional 2 hours. Wonderful, we really liked the combination of vegetables. This will go in my "keeper" file! Thanks for yet another great recipe, Miss Annie!