Recipe by annlouise
Well, I'm all for healthy, but my family and I have come to prefer this great bread as our mainstay. Still loaded with lots of great stuff!
- 2 cups buttermilk, lukewarm (or 2 c milk with 2 t lemon juice)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons soft butter or 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon baking salt (can also use table salt)
- 1⁄3 cup cracked wheat
- 1⁄3 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon millet (optional)
- 1 tablespoon quinoa (optional)
- 1 tablespoon amaranth (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup raw sunflower seeds (optional)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup gluten
- 1 tablespoon yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all ingredients into bread machine in order listed; set to dough setting.
- Take completed dough, split in half, and shape into 2 greased loaf pans.
- Cover with kitchen towel and let rise 45 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 350 oven for 35 minutes (Hint: set rising timer early to allow preheat time).
- Turn onto wire racks to cool at least a few minutes, then devour, preferably after slicing (some husbands might prefer just ripping out a chunk if they are really hungry!).
- Note: I have a gas oven, and always splash about 1/4 c water into the bottom of my oven just when I put the bread in; it seems to help it rise.