Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A nice satisfying lentil soup with spinach and pesto to add some extra flavor! This is a very flexible recipe and many of the ingredients may be substituted or the amounts varied according to taste.
- 3 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed (any color)
- 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 10 ounces frozen spinach (defrosted and squeezed out)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian spices
- salt and pepper
- hot cooked pasta (little shells or elbows)
- Just put everything into a 6-8 qt stockpot, add water to about two inches from the rim and simmer. I ended up simmering mine for about 1 hour. I cooked some small shells for those who wanted a little heartier soup. I served some extra pesto sauce and some grated Parmesan for those who wanted it.
- Any type of tomatoes will do; diced, crushed, sauce, pizza sauce, marinara in a pinch. Just use what you've got!
I didn't really make this recipe, but I stole the idea of putting spinach and pesto in my lentil soup, and it was the best I've ever made! I couldn't stop eating it! Thanks for the great idea.