Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
This is the bread recipe that I recently got from my mom. She's submitted it to the church cookbooks over the years and it's always well received. :) Prep time includes rising.
- Soften yeast in warm water.
- Combine hot water, brown sugar or honey, salt, and oil or melted butter; cool until lukewarm, then add softened yeast.
- Pour into a large pan; add the flours and oatmeal, stirring well.
- Turn out and knead lightly; dough will be sticky (add small mount of flour as needed to knead).
- Let dough rise in warm place for 45 minutes to an hour; punch down.
- Grease 2 large loaf pans well.
- Divide and shape dough into two loaves and put into pans; let rise until light, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes; let cool on racks.