Recipe by annlouise
This is my family's favorite all-purpose bread. It's full of flavor and nutrition! I vary it by adding/substituting oats, whole flax, pumpkin seeds, or whatever else suits my fancy. This originated hundreds of loaves ago with a 60% WW recipe that I have since developed into this. Prep time does not include bread machine or second raising time. From start to finish it's about 3 1/2 hours.
- 1 cup buttermilk, lukewarm
- 1 cup water, lukewarm
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine (I use non-hydrogenated)
- 2 tablespoons honey (I use raw)
- 1 tablespoon baking salt (or 2 t sea salt or table salt)
- 2 tablespoons millet
- 1 tablespoon amaranth
- 1 tablespoon quinoa
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup gluten
- 5 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast (I use instant)
Directions See How It's Made
- Load ingredients in order listed into bread machine.
- Select and run "Whole Wheat Dough" setting.
- Remove dough, work out air bubbles, and shape into two loaf pans (I prefer glass).
- Let rise approximately 45 minutes (or, as they say, until doubled in size).
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 35 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on the underside.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes before slicing (if you can keep family bread-aholics away for that long!).
- ENJOY one of life's simplest and healthiest delights--homemade bread!