Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
Serve with whipped cream or powdered sugar if desired
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3 cups peeled and coarsely chopped pears (or apples)
- 1 cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Let the butter and eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time; beating on medium to high speed for 6 minutes total.
- Add vanilla then eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition and scraping the bowl often.
- Beat in milk. Gradually add flour mixture.
- Fold in pears and cranberries.
- Spoon batter into a greased and floured 13x9x2" baking pan evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Really good! Chock full of fruit, which makes me think that the gradual creaming instructions are superfluous. I did a standard thorough creaming, putting in sugar all at once rather than tablespoon at a time, and it was tender, moist and flavorful. I added a teaspoon of Penzey's baking spice, and probably could have added more. Delicious on its own warm out of the oven!
A beautiful moist cake - I made to take along to an Easter picnic & everyone commented on how nice it was. I used mixed berries instead of cranberries as that was all I had available. Final recipe of 3 reviewed for PAC 2010