Recipe by Naturalbohemian
UPDATED -- Please note: The nutritional information (fat and calories) on this salad for each serving is incorrect because it was calculated using all the salad dressing for 4-6 servings of the salad. The recipe makes lots of extra dressing. This salad is wonderful! My husband and I came up with the ingredients for the salad itself to go along with a delicious maple dressing from the book "What's cooking America". All the flavors of the different ingredients blend and coalesce into the most mellow, nutty sweet flavor, that is very autumnal and heavenly! And very nutritious too. You really need all the ingreds. to achieve the wonderful flavor. Make sure you toast the pecans, as the toasting really brings out the flavor, and let the jicama matchsticks sit in the ice water a bit to really intensify their crunchy sweetness.Make sure all the ingredients are very fresh. (I buy prewashed/packaged baby spinach to speed things up and dispense with the rinsing and drying). Vary salad ingredient amounts to taste (we never measure). I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.
- 1 (12 ounce) package baby spinach leaves (very fresh)
- 1 red onions (chopped) or 1 other mild sweet onion (chopped)
- 1 jicama, cut into match sticks (let sit in ice water awhile, to crisp)
- 1 sweet red pepper (chopped)
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into halves (preferably vine ripened)
- 1 cup toasted pecans (whole or chopped)
Maple salad dressing
- 3⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar (I use brown rice vinegar)
- 1 cup canola oil (other mild flavored vegetable oil OK)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR SALAD: Mix all vegetable ingredients together in large bowl.
- MAPLE DRESSING INSTRUCTIONS: In a blender, food processor or with hand held immersion blender, combine maple syrup, salt, rice vinegar, canola oil, and ground mustard.
- Blend 1 minute or until well mixed.
- Yields 2 Cups TO TOAST PECANS: Place whole pecans on baking sheet in single layer, toast in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, stirring a couple times during toasting time.
- Let cool TO ASSEMBLE: Serve salad in individual bowls or salad plates.
- Sprinkle with desired amount of pecans.
- Top with desired amount of Maple dressing.