Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is yet another baked chicken and rice recipe! However, I wanted to share my wonderful mother's recipe for it, because this particular recipe makes the rice turn out so nice and fluffy. When I have used other recipes for this dish, I have found that the rice often comes out overcooked. I think the secret to this recipe is that milk is used, along with the soup, keeping the rice nice and moist. I also love the onion soup mix added to this dish - it really jazzes up the flavor! This recipe is a wonderful dish to serve to company (I usually serve it with a nice, flavorful salad of some sort) because it is so easy to just throw it in the oven an hour or so before serving it to guests - so that the chef can enjoy the festivities, as well!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can milk (use soup can)
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked rice or 1 cup Minute Rice
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- Heat over to 350.
- Mix mushroom soup and milk (reserve half of the mixture).
- Mix together the soup mixture, rice, mushrooms, and half the onion soup mix.
- Pour into ungreased baking dish (11 1/2 x 7 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches).
- Place chicken breasts on top.
- Pour reserved soup mixture over chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle with remaining onion soup mix.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake for 15 mins longer.